Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

20 Dunkeld Street
Aberfeldy
PH15 2AA

01887 820306

Heritage

Heritage

Haggart's has over two hundred years history and its tweed is considered to be one of the best sporting and estate tweeds. It is made from wool yarn from Cheviot sheep and has a high oil content. This oil gives it unique properties of warmth and is repellent to water.

The tweed designs represent the character and colours of Scotland as many of the colours had to act as camouflage to a particular estate or area. The tweeds Haggart's uses are all still woven in Scotland and many in Aberfeldy itself.


Haggart's tweed is considered to be one of the best sporting and estate tweeds


Haggart's History Timeline

1801

Haggart's founded by James Haggart in Acharn, a village on the south side of Loch Tay, Scotland. He collected wool from nearby farms and spun it into yarn, then used a handloom to weave it into a material suitable for warm clothing.

1846

James Haggart passed Haggart's to his two sons Peter and James. Their initials made up the P and J of P. & J. Haggart. Peter and James Haggart relocated to Keltneyburn due to needing bigger premises.

1871

Haggart's employed a team of 17 which included a spinner allowing Haggart's to carry out the full process necessary for tweed manufacture.

1882

Haggart's moved to new premises in Aberfeldy and offered a retail store and tailoring business. This meant that Haggart's was no longer only manufacturing raw material but also selling tweed clothing.

1899

Haggart's proudly displayed Royal Warrants dating from 1899 on the front of their store. Many estate owners commissioned designs for their own private tweeds.

1929

Haggart's the 'Royal Woollen Manufacturers' attended the 1929 British Industries Fair.

1934

James Dewar Haggart was now running the firm and looked to expand Haggart's from its Aberfeldy base. He installed a water turbine to power the mill machinery and store lighting.

1938

Jun 9, 1938 - The Glasgow Herald reported Her Royal Highness meeting with James Dewar Haggart at the Empire Exhibition held in Glasgow, Scotland. "Mr J. D. Haggart, who has been Provost of Aberfeldy for 26 years, has held royal warrants as a woollen manufacturer under King Edward VII. and King George V. , and has come to be known the members of the royal house through frequent command visit to Balmoral Castle over a period of 35 years to show samples of Scots tweeds and tartans."

1951

Haggart's employed six tailors, a cutter, a fitter and many apprentices.

1989

John Simpson took over Haggart's and passed it to his son Robert in 1998.

2013

Ryan and Deborah Hannigan from The Temple Gallery launched their RE:DEsign Collection with Haggart's. RE:DEsign married Haggart's tweed with Ryan's woodblock prints and also utilised vintage materials and army surplus canvas.

2014

Ryan and Deborah Hannigan took over Haggart's and renovated a new boutique store located at 20 Dunkeld Street, Aberfeldy, Perthshire, Scotland. They continue to offer the same quality and level of service that estate owners and customers of Haggart's have grown accustomed to over the last 200 years.

Haggart's launched a new online shopping website www.haggarts1801.com to also bring their products and service to a new international audience.